Corridor near upstairs doctor living quarters in Lippitt Building, former psychopathology building,at Norwich State Hospital, Connecticut.
Entries in Connecticut (12)
Bathroom inside the Lippitt building at Norwich State Hospital.
The Lippitt building, a colonial revival style building at Norwich State Hospital, was designed as a psychopathic facility in 1920. It played a big role in the history of the treatment of the mentally ill as it was built a few years after the first facility of its kind. The facility provided medical treatments for mental and physical disorders. Lippitt was equipped with x-ray, hydrotherapy and surgical technology and even frequently performed lobotomies. The building was likely named after Costello Lippitt who was once the mayor of Norwich, Connecticut and the president of the hospital's Board of Trustees.
Moon rise at dusk over the Shelton House, building used for administrative and patient care, at a Connecticut psychiatric hospital, designed in the Colonial Revival style by Walter P. Crabtree. The hospital operated from 1931 until 1995 and at its peak, housed over 4,000 patients.
Norwalk Hall was a male staff and Psychiatric Aid residence at a Connecticut State Hospital. Each room on the lower floors of the Hall were approximately 8ft x 10ft and contained a bed, rocking chair, desk, lockable closet, dresser, mirror and sink. The third floor rooms were much harder to come by and were reserved for the veteran staff.
Norwich State Hospital was established as a psychiatric hospital in 1904 in Preston Connecticut. It was the second public mental asylum for the state and opened with only 95 patients. Within a few years, the need for more buildings grew. The campus continued to grow and eventually contained 30+ buildings.